Increasing the conversion rate in e-commerce is a difficult task. With thousands of website pages available, which one should you start optimizing with? Even if you can answer this question by choosing a small set of pages to start with, what changes do you need to make?
The following tips will focus on building and testing a product page (landing page), but first, let’s do some prep work:
1. Segment your visitors. There is nothing more powerful than visitor segmentation and learning about the different trends that those visitors are following on your site. At a minimum, you should separate visitors by traffic source, keywords, visit types (new or returning), and countries.
2. Segmentation with Google Website Optimizer = testing for steroids! All clients are different and different from each other, and you should not treat them in the same way. Testing different versions of a page or conversion funnels is a powerful technique. Testing different versions depending on the type of visitor is even more powerful. There are several ways to do this,
3. Set up your conversion funnels. Funnels will help you determine which pages make visitors leave your site. At a minimum, we recommend setting up the following conversion funnels:
- Sequence from the home page to the shopping cart page
- The sequence for the preparatory stage of payment for the purchase, including the page with the basket
- Sequence for the preparatory stage of payment for the purchase, excluding the page with the basket
- Sequence for the payment process with different types of payment, including the cart page
- Sequence for the payment process with different types of payment, excluding the cart page.
These are just a few tips, by focusing on your search engine optimization skills, you can get huge traffic on your page and resultantly an enormous success.